Wednesday, August 25, 2010

My sweet 5th grader



"A daughter is a bundle of firsts that excite and delight, giggles that come from deep inside and are always contagious, everything wonderful and precious..."

It's official. We now have a 5th grader! As we were preparing for her first day, she wanted me to help her put her outfit together, choose the perfume she was going to wear and make sure her bag was filled with all of the correct things. As we were driving to school, we said our morning prayer and prayed for a wonderful 5th grade year and for all of the other children either starting school for the first time, starting a new school, or returning to school to have a year filled with fun, learning, and awesome memories. After dropping her off, giving her a huge hug (I didn't want to let go) and a big kiss, I watched her walk into her classroom. I remember her walking into her Kindergarten class and getting her all set up at her desk for the first time. As she entered into 5th grade and approached the door to her classroom, she turned around, waved, and blew me a kiss. Ugh, if that doesn't pull at your heart strings, I don't know what does. My little girl that used to want princess everything and pink, sparkly everything is now into skinny jeans, big bangles, and converse shoes. She is a little lady. I mean, she really is growing up so fast. I got back in the car and just bawled my eyes out. This is the last year of elementary school. The last! I am loving this age with her but middle school just sounds like it should be so far away and it is next year! She did tell me that she would love for me to come up to her middle school every day and hang at her locker with her! Warms my heart, that little girl. As I drove to get coffee and pulled back up at our home, I walked in and as the door shut, it was so quiet. Too quiet. I loved having Meag as my little pal every day this summer. I loved knowing that whatever our day entails, we would be doing it side by side. I am glad for a routine to start back up but I do miss her.

As I sit here today, on the third day of school, it is raining outside, there is a cool breeze, and my spiced pumpkin candle is burning...fall is just around the corner. Once the school year starts, it seems like the holidays get here so fast! We have parties planned, decorating in the works (we have already set our dining room table for fall--which looks so pretty!!), community events to attend, and the Christmas shopping has begun. I bought the first present just the other day for my sweet, little Meag. Excited about what this year is going to bring and looking forward to spending the holidays with my most favorite people in the world!

0 comments: