
"...I make a plea for renewed Sabbath-keeping. As a nation, we cannot live like this, endlessly rushing about in a desperate frenzy, never stopping to enjoy the blessings of family and friends, unable to taste the fruits of life. We can change society by beginning a quiet revolution of change in ourselves and our families. Let us take a collective breath, rest, pray, meditate, walk, sing, eat and take time to share the unhurried company of those we love. Let us, for just one day, cease our desperate striving for more, and instead taste the blessings we have already been given, and give thanks. Religious traditions agree on this: God does not want us to be exhausted; God wants us to be happy. And so let us remember the Sabbath." Sabbath by Wayne Muller
One of the most life-giving trips that I have taken was our family trip to Maine. It was on this trip that it become more clear to me than ever, the meaning of the simple life. Our beautiful house was nestled in this neat stretch of about 6 houses overlooking a lighthouse. As I awoke the first morning and looked out our window, I could hear nothing but the crashing waves against the rocks and the hummingbirds' wings as they fluttered at the bird feeder. I always remember looking at my husband thinking, "Wow, I wish we could live in this quiet, slow life forever." Sometimes I get so tied up in my days that I don't even realize it is now the end of the week and know there is nothing else I could possibly pack in to this day. Maine, wasn't at all like that. When you drive through the rolling and winding roads, your soul takes a deep breath and all you can feel is this calming effect that overtakes your body. You want to take your time. You want to get outside and snuggle up to nature. There were so many mornings spent in the rocking chairs on the porch simply rocking, sipping coffee, and breathing in the invigoration air. I remember it like it was yesterday. Curling up with a good book, swaying in the bench while laying my head in my husband's lap as he sat in silence listening to all of God's beautiful creations. We cooked, we worked puzzles, we played games, we read, we hiked and we just were. We had no concept of time. We would go to bed when we were tired. We would wake up when we were rested. Day by day, we had no plans-just took it hour by hour. That was the perfect life.
Now, next year at the same time, I am running around like a chicken with its head cut off. I am on deadline at work, I am a wife that needs to stop checking email all night long on my phone, I am a mom that needs to not rush everywhere. I NEED to slow down. I know I talk about this all the time. However, I must say that I am really working at slowing down and not always being in a hurry to get somewhere. I do like being busy but as I reminisce on the Maine trip, I so long for that woman again. Today for lunch, instead of working through it or running here or there, I took my book that I'm reading, drove to Turtle Creek park, found a bench in the shade on the green grass and read. It was so calming and it allowed me to take some time out of my day to just regroup and be surrounded by nature and not the sounds of the phone ringing or conversations. I saw two squirrels playing tag and it was so refreshing. I didn't stay long but just long enough to go back and finish the rest of my day. I went running with my dog this morning, too. I love taking in some nature first thing in the morning. Starts my day off right. The weather has helped with that, too. :-) I am a Fall and Winter kind of girl and this morning, it wasn't cool by any means but when I walked in the shade, there was a brisk wind and it was nice. Reminds me of the fabulous months lying ahead.
This past weekend, my work went on a staff retreat just for one night at Rough Creek Lodge. It was very enjoyable. Two spa treatments, great dinner, and was able to bond even more with some co-workers. It's is about 2 hours away and it was in the middle of nowhere. It's in Glen Rose but let me tell you, it is on 11,000 acres and as I sat on the porch outside of our room, it took me back to those Maine days. No buzz of the city. Just the simple sounds of the water, wind, and animals. It was very relaxing.
I'm going to find that "rest" here in Dallas. I shouldn't have to go all the way to Maine to find quiet time. Although I would...in a heartbeat. :-) We are going back next year. I can't wait. Until then, it is my quest to create my own sense of Maine here.


1 comments:
I left you a message all about Disney on Myspace go check it and get back to me!!
Post a Comment