Monday, January 7, 2008

de-Christmasing


It is now after Christmas and I must admit, I have not taken down any Christmas decor. Not because i haven't had the time, it just makes me sad. So excited about the new year but sad that Christmas has already come and gone. You plan and buy and cook and bake and decorate and it seems to go by faster and faster each year. Is it because I am getting older? Is it because that is my favorite time of the year? Is it because of the cool weather we don't get? :) Well, whatever it is, I wish time would slow down. This Christmas season was full of memories. Baking with the Tastles...late night laughter...lots of white twinkle lights...snuggling by the fire...holiday pajamas...and JOY. That is how I will remember this Christmas 2007. So, as I sit here and type, I could be taking down holiday decor but just one more week. I enjoyed it so much...our twinkling lights on the mantle...holiday music...our lit fireplace...all of the homemade ornaments. I have never enjoyed my tree as much as I did this year. My mom made me a beautiful, lavish bow for the top of our tree, similar to hers that added that special touch. From me searching for the perfect stockings, to buying more Christmas decor than I could put out :), to burning my favorite holiday oils, I found such happiness in all of it. There were nights that I would have my husband light a fire, turn on all of the Christmas lights, make coffee and curl up in a blanket and read or just talk with each other about our favorite traditions or our favorite childhood memories. So, as it is time to de-Christmas, I am sad. Time flies and before I can finish all of my lists of to-do's for the year, I know I will be decorating for Christmas again.

0 comments: